Wednesday 10 April 2013

Paradis Perdu - found once more!

As I mentioned in my last post, I decided to pull out some stitching which hasn't seen the light of day for more than a year. I started Paradis Perdu at the start of 2012. I made great progress on it but suddenly lost interest and put it aside after only two months. Here's how it looked when I last saw it.


This one is designed by A Mon Ami Pierre and is truly a lovely piece. The colours are all so pretty. I'm doing a silk conversion on this one using Vicki Clayton Hand Dyed Fibers. I have this one stretched on an 11 x 11 Q-snap and I think I just got tired of handling the frame. It's not the easiest piece to take on the road with you either. Despite it being so cumbersome, I took it with me this past weekend when I went to visit my mom. Most of the progress was made just prior to my going away. There wasn't a lot of time for stitching during my visit home.
Here's where it stands at this point.




I just finished Adam and Eve before bed last night. Eve is looking a little flat chested if you ask me! The silk conversion for their skin was just a little too light and faded away into the background so I decided to use the called for DMC. I'm using a Queen Anne's Lace as my fabric. I love those funky birds (peacocks?) although I'm not entirely in love with the colours used to stitch them. I still have to finish stitching the apple tree but since it's fairly large I just might stitch a few other smaller motifs first. 

This was the only piece I touched on the weekend. We travelled home to my mom's place to attend the funeral service for my uncle who passed away just before Easter. My mom was still in Florida so they waited until she returned home for the service since this was her only sibling. My uncle goes to join my aunt whose service was held last year on the same date. They were the only aunt and uncle that I had. My father was an only child. The trip home gave me an opportunity to see my cousins once again as well as my sisters and their families. We all went out for supper on Saturday night at a local Greek restaurant owned by friends of my sister. Here's a great pic of my Mom and Step-dad that Bob snapped. Would you believe my Mom is 82?!


Despite the occasion, it was wonderful touching base with my family. We also checked up on Bob's mom who is slowly going  downhill. She is now 94. 
I did nothing but eat out all weekend and now I feel like a giant beach ball. I've hardly eaten at all since we returned home.

Viktor & Irina are on hold at the moment although I will be taking them along with me to my Wed. afternoon gathering. Thank you for all the wonderful comments I received on this one. The verdict is still out on which colour I'll use for those small flowers. I think they're not showing up because I'm not using the called for fabric. I went with LSL Pearled Barley since I already had that one in my stash. It can take up to a month for me to receive fabric that I order.

I was fortunate enough to make a pit stop at Thread and Eye in London, ON during my trip home where I picked up some remnant fabric for ornaments as well as some floss and floss bags. Gosh I miss having a needlework shop in my area!!

That's it for now. I apologize for my lack of visits to the blogs lately. There just hasn't been enough time in the day. Hopefully now things will settle down some. I see that the snow has now melted in the back yard and I have access to the gazebo once more. If the sun would just stay out long enough I'd be out there now!

15 comments:

  1. Nice progress on the sampler - the A&E couple are so cute :-) My condolences for the passing of your uncle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very sorry to hear about the passing of your uncle. My condolences to you and your family.

    Paradis Perdu is really lovely. I can understand putting it down though if you're using 11 x 11 Q Snaps. That would be quite heavy on your arms and bulky to carry around. Having said that, it certainly is coming right along now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paradis Perdu is lovely, and anytime spent with family is well worth the drive. Hope to see you soon, now that the warm weather is slowing starting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love this sampler, from the flower pots to the style of lettering, very pretty. Don't know if this helps but with my big qsnap i lean the top half on the edge of my dining table and sit there and stitch :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your stitching looks great and so does your mother!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My condolences for the passing of your uncle.
    Your stitching is lovely as ever.
    And wow, your Mom looks wonderful.
    Warm greetings from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  7. So sorry about your Uncle, I send you my condolences. Love your stitching and glad you got to visit a needlework store. Lovely stitching on A Mon Ami Pierre. Your mom is beautiful, her skin is gorgeous. Our weather today was 83 degrees. I'm in California:) Glad you got to post.
    love Annette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Paradis is looking good.
    Sorry to hear about your Uncle.
    Your Mom looks great at 82!
    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry to hear of the loss of your Uncle. But so glad that you had some lovely time with the family.
    Gorgeous stitching progress!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to read the news of your uncle. Your mom looks fabulous!
    Love the sampler you are working on!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Paradis is looking lovely, nice progress. I tend to go with what fabric I have on hand if it is close to what I need too, and sometimes it does make a floss color get a bit lost. However, change in dye lots can do the same thing even if you do get just what the design listed. So sorry to hear about your Uncle {{hugs}}.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your sampler, Lynn. It's gorgeous! So sorry to hear about your uncle though. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry to read about your loss Lynn, but I'm glad you enjoyed the silver lining of seeing your family. Your mother looks stunning at 82! I'm glad you got to visit a stitch shop too, I bet that was just the thing to give you a little lift :)
    Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a great plan to pull out WIPs that haven't seen the light of the day for more than a year. I love this idea and wrote it down into my notebook for the time after my retirement (which will start very soon). But this notebook already holds so many plans that I'm not sure if I'll be able to realize them all, lol. I think I'll be even busier after ny retirement than before, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Labels